Sunday, September 6, 2009

Are we focusing on the right thing... NOW


I have been working on myself and many people.

I am wondering and it is a good thing to wonder.

How many of us have a 5 year or some date in the future 'dream'/plan?

How many of us have a day by day, week by week, month by month, quarter by quarter, half year by half year and year by year execution plan?

I have met one person who follow his plan and his heart. I blessed to know him.

Over the last 18 months, I analysed the people I coached and trained. At the end of every session, I asked them about their goals.

Before I share what their feedbacks are, let me share with you what I did.

I asked everyone to write down what he/she wants to achieve in 5 years in the area of relationship, finance, health, spirituality, career etc.

It was easy for some of us while some others struggled as that time was the first time they did the exercise.

Then I asked them to write what they want to achieve in 24 months having in mind the 5 year plan they have written.

Once they completed that, I asked them to write what they want to achieve in 12 months having in mind the 24 months goals and 5 year written goals.

Then I asked for their 3 to 6 months plan relating to the 12 months, 24 months and 5 year written goals.

Lastly, I would always ask, "what would you do on Monday morning to realise the goals".

This exercise is simple and yet many struggle including me.

Some of the feedbacks are:

"We are so used to setting long term goals and when you ask us to plan in that detailed manner, we struggled.


Our minds are stuck to work on the details.

Numb...


Many thoughts came to mind. Thoughts like do we really want these goals.


Wow... there are so much work need to be done now.


I do plan every year and have long term plan, however I do not have a detailed execution plan. Even if I do have an execution plan, I seldom review and make the necessary changes and commit to the plan.


AND lastly some of them asked whether the plans are align to their higher purpose or values."


Do you have a short term, medium term and long term plan? You can define the period yourself.

Do you have an execution plan? Or you are following the flow allowing things to happen when it happens.

AND are whatever you have planned and executing now... are these plans the right plans for you?

One thing I learned in the last Ramadhan...

I was focused in improving my 'kusyuk' in solat - especially in my beingness and concentration. In order to do that, I focused in improving in my 'doingness' (Feqah). I ensure that I was prepared for solat, recited the surah slowly, making sure that I understood what I recited and also ensure that my mind did not stray too much in the prayer.

Then I was taught that to improve my solat, I need to work on my Tawhid too. Tawhid will give me the strength to be 'kusyuk' in my solat.

Now I want to deepen my understanding of Tawhid while I continue with my Feqah studies/practices.

It is almost the end of September 2009 and we are moving towards the last quarter of 2009.

It is a good time to pump up the engine to achieve my goals which I set at the beginning of 2009 and to start thinking of the 2010 plan.

I doa and pray that 2010 will be an exciting year for you, you are blessed with what you have NOW and you are working to achieve your 2009 goals. Amin.

Ciao
Izam

3 comments:

sofiyah.odyssey said...

TQVM Izam...
Very important tips to accomplish life's mission/vision.

Yupp...day today actions NOW
Pieces by pieces DAILY basis, to build what's will be a 'big building' in the FUTURE

And the 'long & ultimate' vision, LIFE IN PARADISE

ayen =D said...

TQVM MR Izam..

I have write something in my blog after read your blog for few times.. It makes me feel happy.. Thanks!

I hope you dont mind, I linked your blog in my post =)

All the best..

My Heart Speaks said...

Thanks Ayen.

You appreciate your interest in my writing.

You can link.

Thanks.
izam