Thursday, October 22, 2009

Hijrah - the journey


I am working in a foreign land for a few months leaving my family and all the daily routines back home.

Somehow 2 nights ago I felt homesick. I could not really sleep, tossing from left to right. I count my breathing and zikir. I manage to get some sleep at the end.

The next morning, when I was at Masjidil Haram, I saw the foreign workers and expatriates.

Then I am thinking...

They leave what they have back home to hijrah to a new country to earn a living. Some of them left everything they got back home. I respect them.

How do we see the foreign maids working our homes?

How do we see the foreign workers at the construction sites?

How do we see the foreign cleaners in the shopping malls?

How do we see the expats in our country?

How do we see our fellow country mates working as maids / construction workers / cleaners / cooks / professionals in other countries?

All of them have courage. They take action even when they have doubt and fear.

There are many succcessful business people who originate from a different country.

I read a book - 15 ways to incease earnings. One of them is Hijrah in the name of the Almighty. After what I experienced, I value this section of the book.

Hijrah does not just mean geographically. It could mean the inner journey too. Hijrah from one way of being to another way of being. All in the name of the Almighty.

I really got this conversation.

AND...

I was also into another conversation. What would I feel when I die?

I pray to Allah that I will not feel 'worldly homesick' when I have to leave this world, leaving all the people I love and the wealth accummulated. Instead I want to feel calm and feel welcome to the next phase of my journey to Akhirat.

This is only the first week.

Ciao
Izam

2 comments:

kaseh said...

Salam En Izam,

Not everyone yang bertuah dipilih Allah to be working di tempat yang sungguh istimewa. U are one of the special person that have been choosen! So banyakkan bersabar ye En Izam, semoga Allah berikan penuh kekuatan untuk u meneruskan usaha murni u!

My Heart Speaks said...

Learning last week -
Am I willing to let go everything in the name of Allah?
Body, mind and soul?
What am I still holding on to? What am I not willing to let go?