Friday, April 3, 2009

Say goodbye to the First Quarter 2009 - Still on track to achieve 2009 goals?


I want to write on this as this is the most difficult subject to write on.

"Results never lie" & "Action speaks louder than words"... a friend kept on reminding me.

Seeing the truth, especially the gap between what I want and what I am doing on daily basis makes me wonder, am I for real in wanting to achieve some of my written goals.

What I learned about me when I review my performance in the last 3 months are - that some of the goals which I have written down are being written down because it is nice to have. The desire and commitment are not that high in wanting to achieve those results but it is good to read on paper that I have such goal. Who am I kidding?

Having a written life purpose and written goals at the beginning of the year 2009 are easy to do. Now having to honour the personal commitments and declarations made to self are an uphill task. Urgh...

I am beginning to be aware of my pattern in pursueing my life purpose and goals.

Reviewing my goals for 2009 and what I have accomplished in the first quarter, I noticed that there are some goals which I am 'on the track' rather than on track. :)

There are 3 major goals and 4 minor goals set for 2009.

My focus this month is to renew my commitment to my goals and review how I am utilising my time effectively.
I am 'on the track' for 1 of my major goal and only achieve 50% of my other 2 major goals.

I am disappointed with my commitment and efforts spent in one of my major goal. What I learned is that I need to be more focus and have deliberate smaller goals each month.

I want to increase the time spent on the other 2 goals. I saw myself not utilising the 'spare' time effectively and I celebrated my small wins too long. There are some time wasting slots in the last 3 months.

And I noticed that for one month I lost sight of my goals and just going through the motion and hope to achieve some progress. There were lack of conviction and tenacity. More like they are my 'convenient' goals.

The minor ones:-

Work on myself - I achieve 20%. I want to increase my effort here as I know that by working on myself will increase my strength in pursueing my major goals.

To spend time doing the school work with my son - I achieve 15%. I noticed that I have many excuses for not doing it and I saw that it is more of my lack of commitment more than not making the time. I am renewing my commitment here.

Writing a number of articles in my blog - I only achieved 10%. I am reviewing this. I think my target was too high. I cut down the number of postings to 6 to 8 a month.

There are other goals which I have written done and only done when convenient.

The word 'convenient' and not utilising the 'spare' time effectively are glaring in this review.

I hope by sharing this will help you in looking at your goals and your action soonest possible. I want all of us to win.

Tips in you reviewing your goals:

1. What have you achieved to date in the last 3 months? - What happen? What did not happen? What else? What works? What did not?

2. What are you upset about? What can you learn? What else? What can you do differently now?

3. What new or renew commitment you say to yourself?

4. What are your April targets?

5. What is the next step?

Good luck.
ciao
Izam

No comments: