
It crosses my mind once in a while. I am wondering and it is a good thing to wonder.
Over the years in my career, in discussions with friends, colleagues, consultants and business associates, I have heard some of us at one point of time or another would say to ourselves - "I am just here in this department, business, job or career for a while or a few years. I will be moving on to something better or something different later."
I notice sometimes that I have this conversation in my mind. The question here is not about me moving to something better or something else later. It is about when I am in where I am now, am I present to the job/business or I am in a "someday in the future" conversation?
I am sure all of us have dreams and goals too. I have goals and passion in life which I am pursueing. I acknowledge my purpose in life. However what I realise is that when I am in the state of thinking about the future too much, there is anxiety and it may affect me being in the NOW.
Two questions which I asked myself are - What will be the level or commitment in the present and am I present to the task at hand? and What is the level of commitment in the "someday in the future"?
The trap could be, I am not focus in the current commitment or task and I want to focus in the "someday in the future" possible commitment, however since it is in the future, not much can be focused on now AND I might end up not focusing in anything at all. Even when I am focus now, is it with convinction?
Will we be present at home with the family - with the spouse, the kids, the parents, etc? What about in the business? What about at work? What about when you are enjoying your recreation? What about when you are reading the newspapers, magazines and books, where do your mind wonder in this context?
Wow... interesting discovery :).
To avoid my mind go wondering to the "someday in the future" too much, I focus on the goal and task at hand in smaller chunks. Taking one step at the time without losing focus in the bigger goal and my personal mission. I pray to the Almighty to guide me in my every step of my journey.
What about you? What is your "someday in the future"conversation if you have one? How do you stay focus and committed to NOW?
ciao
Izam
3 comments:
salam Izam,
Interesting thought. I must admit that I too have the same thing on my mind especially on "I will be moving on to some other thing later" (I ommitted better because that is just a perception of something grander, as the old adage Grass is always greener on the other side).
I supposed we have to consider our job as our own legacy to make a difference to other people's lives. Then we will not be overly self-centred and will contribute to the society and be part of the team.
Being PASSIONATE about what we do helps but we have to learn to switch off when we are off it. A friend of mine advised me on the switching off part but it is easier said than done. I, myself am still learning to do this.
"Someday in the future ...." is about living and to have goals in our lives and to contend with daily distractions and to continue being mortal in the present.
The leadership & self deception book that you have recommended is rated highly by almost every respondent and my guess is that the
author would probably address the same issue about being relevant in the present.
Thank you for sharing your thoughts.
Salam Izam,
Interesting point/topic.
In my opinion, is best that when we are given a task to do, we do it as best as we can. Things that we do, ne it paid or not, will have some bearing on other people around. People's hope, people's expectations. More so if we are paid to do a job. We should not procastinate but to carry it out with full reposibility, honesty and 110% if we can. I do believe that any short of this, the income we receive is not halal/blessed. Hence will lead to other problems, self invited problems.
With reg to future plans, many people have. Some have plans which are totally different from what they are currently doing, some, a continuation/expansion of what they are currently doing. For people who have are suddenly thrown into a bewildering situations (out of job)whether they have future plans or not its already kicking in.(instant plan) ;-)
Nevertheless, whether we have or dont have future plans, its best to carry out what we have in/on hand, professionally and not half heartedly. Because we never know what's in for us in the future.
Once we have done our best than it is in the hand of Lord All Mighty to reward us as he see fit. And that's another story....
Hanah
Salam Izam,
Interesting point/topic.
In my opinion, is best that when we are given a task to do, we do it as best as we can. Things that we do, be it paid or not, will have some bearing on other people around. People's hopes. People's expectations. More so if we are paid to do a job. We should not procrastinate but to carry it out with full responsibility, honesty and 110% if we can. I do believe that any short of this, the income we receive is not halal / blessed. Hence will lead to other problems, self invited problems.
With reg to “someday in future” conversations, some people have plans which are totally different from what they are currently doing, some, a continuation/expansion of what they are currently doing. For people who have are suddenly thrown into a bewildering situations (eg. out of job) whether they have future plans or not its already kicking in. (instant plan – whatever works) ;-)
Nevertheless, whether we have or don’t have future plans, we should be committed to carry out what we have in/on hand, professionally and not half-heartedly. Because we never know what's in for us in the future.
Once we have done our best than it is in the hand of Lord All Mighty to reward us as he see fit. And that's another story....
Hanah
Post a Comment