Sunday, March 1, 2009

Success & Sacrifices (Tiada kejayaan tanpa perjuangan; tiada perjuangan tanpa pengorbanan)

There is no SUCCESS without a BATTLE; and there is no BATTLE without a SACRIFICE...


These words have been playing in my mind for the past 4 days after I attended a Forum Perdana in Seremban. The Ustazah said it with conviction and full of energy... "Jangan mimpikan kejayaan tanpa perjuangan dan jangan mimpikan perjuangan tanpa pengorbanan".




Those words stuck with me. I just cannot get these words out of my mind. As usual, I reflect on the words and how they relate to my life.

I want many things in my life. I want to be successful in my career, I want to be good at my coaching skills, I want to have a good relationship with my family, I want to travel, I want my kids to do well at schools, I want to increase my understanding my religion and make it the way of life...I want this, I want that...

In defining my successes, I wonder... how much effort I have put in and how much have I persevered in pursuing these dreams. Have I instilled the "do what ever it takes" attitude in my actions?

I am spending many hours in my career and my quest for knowledge in human development. Is this a good measurement of the fighting spirit in the battle to pursue excellence? I doubt it.

Efforts are important. Results are even more important and they never lie. How much sacrifices have I made in pursuing my dreams?

I recognised that there are 2 types of 'sacrifice'. 'Convenient' Sacrifice & 'Sacrifice' Sacrifice :) . It sounds funny. It is the truth. You and I know it. At times I may think that I have given my all, but it is conditional and at my convenience. Of course there are times, I gave my all.

I studied for exams, put in the hours, I 'sacrifice', really?

I spend time pursuing excellence in my career, put in the hours, I 'sacrifice', really?

I seek Allah forgiveness. I thank Allah for enlightening me.

I imagine the sacrifices Rasullullah S.A.W. made in spreading Islam about 1430 years ago. The inner self battle and the physical battle in order to achieve results (successes).

I acknowledge that to win a battle, I need to sacrifice.

Being in a comfortable life is the enemy of a good life. Being in a good life is the enemy of a great life.

I want a great life in this world and in the hereafter. What are my sacrifices?

What is success to you?

What are your inner and outer battles?

What are your sacrifices?

I pray that you win big and be happy.

No pain, no gain.

Go for it.

Fight for it.

And WIN in this life journey.

ciao

Izam

3 comments:

nora said...

When I read this topic, i keep asking myself what are success & sacrifices to me? How can I duplicate my successful pattern in my life to be more successful in the future and do I really need to sacrifice something to be successful? Yes, I have the answers..thank you Izam for great sharing!

Anonymous said...

I learnt that a person would sacrifice often in the hopes of a greater good. If that greater good materialises then magically the sacrifice was worth it and actually was no effort at all. It is when the greater good fails to materialise that the sacrifice becomes a point of contention because we feel that we are either worse off or because of the thought that things 'could have been different'. In other words it is a convenient way for human beings to put things in perspective either as an excuse for how miserable or even how great we feel.

I believe true sacrifice does not count on the greater good happening. The joy comes from the act of the sacrifice rather than the outcome of it. There is enough joy in the idea of the greater good (perhaps more so that attaining it).

My success is my journey towards the goal whatever it may be. I always say that would rather die chasing a dream that I believe in than live without one.

That much I have realised on this day as we remember the Prophet and the way he lived his life.

fana said...

yes en iza. theres no success without sacrifices. im agree with u. sacrifices something. which we let something go. maybe its the best way to success. :)