Friday, February 20, 2009

Amazing Rat Race


It cross my mind now and then. I am wondering whether others experience the same too. It is a good thing to wonder.

I run. I stop to refuel at the pit stop. I run again, faster. I stop at the next pit stop to refuel. Then I run even faster. This cycle happen over and over again. As I run, people around me running too. Some people run slower & some people run faster.

At the next pit stop & I asked myself. "Hey, where is the finishing line". I asked the people around me. "Do you know where is the finishing line?" One guy replied "I don't know. Since everyone is running, I run lah." I asked another lady "When do you stop running?" She replied "I don't know. Maybe I run until the day I die."

This is my Amazing Rat Race...

Home:
The eyes are on the next house to buy as the current house is too small. Possibly wanting to do a minor/major renovation of the house instead. Then another wish is moving from a landed property to an apartment. At the same time, looking for the next investment in landed property because wanting to ensure each of the children has a home.

Car:
From not having a car to having one. From the current car to a different, better or bigger car.

Children Education Fund:
From the savings to send the kids to a local university to savings to send them to oversea university.

Lifestyle:
From travelling locally to travelling overseas for holidays. Joining clubs for networking or social reasons. Buying the next watch model to add to the many collections. Change the clothes to be updated with the current trend. To have the latest mobile phone and the latest laptop are always in the mind.

Career or business:
Moving from one job experience to another. Moving from one industry to another. Expanding the business. Diversifying the business. Looking for more opportunities.

Education:
From one degree to another degree, then the master degree & possibly a PHD. Collect certificates in some other specialised trainings.

Where do I draw my finishing line...

These are the steps I would take now while running.

I would evaluate my intention in all my actions above and draw an imaginary finishing line.

I would run even faster if the intention is to add value. I will not stop running when the intention is for my kids to get a chance to study abroad.

The world is changing like the speed of thought. Learning is a life time journey. Knowing more stuff is an asset. As long as I am not collecting certificates to justify my self worth, i will continue learning new things. Applied knowledge has great power. I will be of contribution at work and in business. Wisdom comes from variety of life and work experiences too. When I add value to people and business, my motivation to do more increases.

Sometimes I want to be pampered and acknowledge myself for the great work that I have done. This is where the lifestyle comes in the picture. I only have to be aware that I am not enjoying the lifestyle at the expense of the important things in my life like ensuring my kids get good education.

The journey continues...

ciao
Izam

1 comment:

handsome guy said...

i have got he answer