Monday, December 22, 2008

Set Goals at the beginning of 2009 - a wish or really something I want?


Everytimes comes year end, I will be thinking of what I want to achieve next year and what I have achieved in the current year.

The typical scenarios in the past were I would get a new diary and fill in with what I want to achieve in the coming year and then track them till about March and then forget totally about them.

Then 3 years ago I was introduced by a friend to set goal systematically. I have been doing it for 3 years since and the results were miracles. I achieved almost 80% of the goals. Now I would take a day off from everything, lock myself in a hotel room and review my achievements for the current year and set goals for the coming year.

The steps are simple however it needs to be be guided.

Now, I got a further distinctions on goal setting. When the goals I set are aligned with who I am, my values and mission statement or true purpose for now, I would want to achieve the goals. I used to set unreasonable goals, someone else goals, 'someday' goals or nice to have goals. There is no motivation in achieving the goals as it is not mine and not congruent with who I am.

I get lost in wanting a lot of things and not wanting to work for it. When the goals seemed too far fetch, i would drop them and not do it.

Now I set goals in a few areas of my life which of value to me - I set health goals, financial goals, relationship with my kids, wife and parents goals, my personal minder goals, learning goals, career goals, company goals and spiritual goals. From here I choose only three which I will focus a lot of my attention in the coming year.

From the review of my current year, I identify the issues I faced in achieving or not achieving my goals, then I would find the pattern of success or procastination so that I would learn from it for the coming year. I would review my mission statements and values if they are still relevant.

2009 is coming soon and fast. Many people talked about the economy uncertainties in 2009. I am finding time to set my 2009 goals and aware of the current issues surrounding me.

Next year will be another year of uncertainties for me in my life direction. In going for my goals in 2009, there are still areas which I fear in wanting to set it as a goal knowing that I want it. I doubt myself in wanting it. Do I really want it? How would I really know? I will never know till I go for it.

I am sure that I will continue to set my goals on my health (eating right and exercising regularly). Whats new next year would be - I want to learn to swim like a fish (swim effortlessly), I want to learn to be a master photographer by end 2009 (I want to have the eyes for it) and I want to work on my second son for him to be at par with his peers in his skills and learning abilities.

What is on my wish list? - I wish I would be a millionaire tomorrow. :) I wish would travel the world every quarter. :( I wish and I wish and I wish.... Do I really want these? Am I willing to put in the efforts, doing whatever it takes? Aha! - there is the gap! So I stop wishing and start setting goals and come up with the plan and take action. Better than keep on wishing every beginning of the year and staring at the potential outcome while non commital in the action. Yuks!!!

Tips:
1. review current year goals - where did you go wrong?
2. Set the right goals and align with you values and purpose (mission statement)
3. Set priorities
4. Focus & discipline
5. Take action (it takes time)
6. Break the goals in smaller goals and timeline
7. No excuse or procastination
8. Quick Assessment / review - monthly/quarterly

ciao.
Izam

No comments: