Reza sent me this link - http://www.dayswithmyfather.com/ . Photos taken by Phillip Toledano.I tried not to be in tears while recalling the times I had with my dad all these years.
He passed away on 10 December 2008. The same day I got married 14 years ago.
The last time I saw him was on Eid Adha, two days before he passed on. All of us wanted to go to my grandmother's house but he wanted to stay home alone.
I was the last person to leave the house. My last words were "Dad, I am going now"
The last time I hug my dad... I can't remember when?
The last time I kiss his hand and his cheeks was on the Eid Mubarak morning.
The last time I learn from him on Islamic studies was 2 years ago.
The last time my dad was the imam when I prayed Maghrib was 20 year ago.
There were many other memories of "the last time..."
How his 'way of being' had impacted me now. How he loved me without saying "I love you".
What are also important... what I am being and doing for the rest of my life to ensure that it would not be his 'last dance'.
He passed on at the age of 69. He had problem with his vision when he was 55 years old. He never complained, not even once on his eye sight problem. I learn about acceptance.
He spent his money wisely. I value saving money for children education.
He helped everyone in whatever way he could even in his condition. I learn about gratitude.
He drank warm water every morning when he woke up. I learn about discipline.
He exercise every morning. I learn about being healthy.
He would pray at the beginning of every solat time. I learn about istiqomah & character building.
He memorised many surah from the Quran, recited them during and after prayers (because of his eyes condition). I learn about the importance of the journey to akhirat (no matter what my circumstances are).
He would accompany my mum to the supermarket, pushing the cart while my mum steering the cart. I learn about true love.
My mum held his hand while walking all the time. I learn about life time companionship.
My dad not wanting to travel with us for holidays or to family events at times because he did not want to burden anyone. I learn about understanding.
My dad read using magnifying glass in his late 50s. I learn about passion and tenacity.
He ignited his 24-year-old proton saga every morning, wiped the car body every day and washed it every week. I learn about the value of everything and everyone.
My dad helped my mum with the house work. I learn about teamwork & no excuses.
There are many more.
Can you look in the beauty of the people you love and the values they have passed on to you?
There are people you meet in your life journey, whom you be with them - only once, only for a season and for a life time.
All of them are there to show or teach you something. Make most out of it to build the best you.
My prayers to all living dad and mum and to those dad and mum who had passed on, may they be placed with the Ambia'.
ciao.
Izam
p/s: my late dad featured in most of P Ramlee movies playing the bass guitar.
10 comments:
We take so many things and so many people for granted. The greatest lesson my father gave to me was to never give up, no matter how long it takes and no matter what happens. It is a lesson that defines who I am and what I am known for.
Thank you for sharing this wonderful post.....
Thanks for sharing. You are a testimonial of "never give up, failing is not an option"
Thanks izam for sharing the story bout your late father. It's remind me bout my late father who passed away April 11th,1990. One of my father's precious gift that i still remember is "unconditional love". When I was in primary 3, i didn't get good result as expected..yet he gave me a special gift which was "harmonica'..and he said i love you very much for whoever you are..no matter what...regardless whatever result that you get in the exam.
thanks for great sharing!-nora
Nora, you are the living "I love you for who you are" in your family now. You are full of joy. Continue the legacy.
Izam, amazing share. Thank you. Such a vivid and great journey between a dad and a son. What I have got from the share is, life is an amazing venture. We meet a lot of people along the way. People come and go. However, those who have made a profound difference in our life will always live in us. Izam, I acknowledge you for whom you are in this world, I acknowledge you for making a difference in others and I acknowlegde you for your massive contribution in my life. Happy new year and al fatihah to your dad. My deepest condolences to you and family.
Tq abg izam for sharing those memorable moments... wish I had it too...
Just wanna share few words of inspiration on this topic...
"A strong man won't let anyone get the best of him...but a man of strength gives the best of his own to everyone..."
for that, we must always value and appreciate for what we have now, n not regreting in future..
salam,
hope u dont mind me updating ur blog and the link in mine.
thanks!
Salam Izam
Didn't know you had a blog. Thanks for sharing. Made me think about my own, who passed on in 1998.
Post a Comment