Sunday, January 4, 2009

Uncluttering my life - begins with physical clutter

Have you ever felt cluttered -
in your physical space like your room?
Mentally? or
Emotionally?
Seemed that there are too many stuff in the space?
Do you feel stressed?
What do you do about it?

I learnt many years ago that clearing the clutters in my physical, mental and emotional spaces are ways to managing my 'being'.

I have this habit of keeping stuff which might be useful in the future even though I did not use it for years. At one point of time, I kept on finding empty spaces in my house and office by rearranging them to put new stuff in. :)

For example, when I buy new clothes, I kept the old ones as there are still in good conditions and I could still wear them. The same goes with the shoes, files of documents, books, travel bags and many more. I would always think that someday I would wear them and also I still like them so I would not give them away. Just imagine I had 10 years of cumulative 'good condition' stuff with me. I seemed to not able to find any new space for all these stuff.

When I was first introduced to this idea of uncluttering my life, I was stressful. Everything seemed not to be working for me. Every responsibility looked like a burden. I was told that clutters affect how I feel especially with anxiety and frustration. These make me feel overwhelmed.

I wanted my life to change and I thought that to let go of unwanted physical stuff would be a good start. I realised that some of these stuff were loaded with memories too. Parting was not easy.

I keep everything which I am using within 6 months to a year and I am selective in keeping the others which I might use 'someday' especially my books.

Clearing clutter is a continual process.

I feel good when I see my closet, my bookshelves, garage have breathing spaces.

I am still working on my two drawers and hard disks. My drawers contained lots of small stuff seemed important and full of memories over the last 14 years. I kept on rearranging the drawers and very little were taken out or gave away and more being put in. My hard disks contained too many stuff & I do not know where to begin.

I am also practising to unclutter in my mind and emotion now. These are challenging especially to slow down the negative self talk, detaching from the past, expectation of the future and to be present to now.

ciao
Izam

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good idea. I'm going to start with car....

nora said...

Great sharing! I got it! I have started doing it recently and I was suprise to find out that there were three boxes of clothes that I managed to give away to the needy...

SABARIAH JUSOH said...

"What's in our OUTER WORLD is the reflection of what's in our INNER WORLD!" AND "The way we do anything is the way we do everything!"

Two powerful principles that I got from T.H.Ekerv