Monday, January 12, 2009

My Expectation & Upset


Have you ever got upset because you ...

1. said 'hello' to someone & he/she did not respond; or

2. share your 'story' & not being acknowledged; or

3. when you want attention and you are not getting it.

I get upset when something happen or did not happen the way I want it to be. I asked myself 'why' many times.

Then I attended a course and I learned why I was upset and it blew my mind - When I have expectation and it is not being fulfilled, I will become upset and go into justification or blame mode.

Sometimes we do stuff to achieve a certain result to fulfill our internal needs like wanting recognition, wanting acknowledgement or even wanting to be right. We often want to be in the domain of 'known' than 'unknown'. "Life is like a box of chocolate - you never know what you gonna get - Forest Gump".

When I have expectation, it is like I am looking for a specific thing using a torch light. I am focus in searching for the exact match I have in mind. When I could not find it, I will be upset and when I got it, I will be happy.

I saw the difference in the way I behave when I understood this. I know the source of my upset which is wanting an outcome to fulfill the 'ego' needs. When I focus on adding value and not on me, I do not get upset easily. Every outcome is a result. What I do next with the outcome is important.

ciao
Izam

1 comment:

shahanim ramli said...

...means...we must stop expecting anything in our life...? Is that it? If yes, then our life will be so horrible and booriingggg without any expectation, isn't it? As all muslims are expecting to enter Heaven, so if there are no expectation then how to practice the good deeds while living? :-)