Sunday, January 4, 2009

Personal Mission Statement


Do your company or business has a Mission Statement? Do you have a Personal Mission Statement? Why not?

I always wanted to be my best. I do my best to be a better in everything important to me like in my career, family and finance.


In working towards achieving all my goals, I got tired and defocus at times. I questioned myself, what is my long term direction. I know that I want to do good but what is it.

Then I was taught a simple 4 steps approach to designing my purpose statement or mission statement to keep me focus. I worked on it and found my niche. I remember this mission statement all the time so that I have a broad direction in my life.

I am so excited that now, not only my company has a mission statement, i do have one too. As the company do annual review and goal setting, I can do my personal review too to ensure that I am in alignment with my company's mission vice versa.

Steps to developing a Personal Mission Statement:

The first question- what do I like doing and good at it?

The second question - what are my values and traits?

The third question - what do I want to achieve in the short term (2 - 5 years)?

The last question - what do I want to achieve in the long term?

You can answer this in many ways as long as the Mission Statement inspires you and you are congruent with it and you will get up every morning and go through life purposeful.

My answers for the above questions which I developed a few years ago are as below. (You can change your Mission Statement if you have found a new purpose after you have done the first one). Add the words in bold to the answers and you already got your Personal Mission Statement.

My Mission Statement:

"I will touch, move and inspire,

Using my honesty and contribution,

To achieve transformation in people and businesses,

And to achieve inner peace and closer to the Allah."

I will constantly look at my Personal Mission Statement and align it with my company's mission statement and my wife's mission statement. When these missions are aligned, the efforts I put in say for example, at work for the company is also adding value to me. This is how I stay grounded in difficult times and be patient. When I get through the challenges at work, i will also worked through my personal issues.

I apply the same thing at home with the family. I am clear of my vision and mission in the family. Each one of them have their own purpose and goals too. I align my mission to their ways of being so that when I support their mission and goals, I will achieve mine too. It would be great if everyone in the family has the mission statement. I would be easier to align them.

When I have alignment especially when my values are different with others, we can work to come to a common resolution in achieving our missions and goals.

Ciao.

Izam







1 comment:

nora said...

WOW!Would love to hear more on mission statement and now I get present to myself and start doing checklist!

Thank you for great sharing!

nora